Spaces For People
Spaces for People is a new, temporary infrastructure programme which offers funding and support to make it safer for people who choose to walk, cycle or wheel for essential trips and exercise during Covid-19.
Funded by the Scottish Government and managed by Sustrans Scotland, the new programme aims to enable statutory bodies to implement measures focused on protecting public health, supporting physical distancing and preventing a second wave of the outbreak.
£30 million of funding is available to support local authorities and statutory bodies respond to Covid-19
We engage with external stakeholders to ensure our support values the different needs of different groups
Responsive to individual and local needs with quick implementation of temporary measures
We are able to provide 100% funding with full design and delivery support available for partners
The fund is open to statutory bodies and we anticipate the majority of applicants will be from planning and roads authorities. It will provide funding and, if needed, additional support services. Support can be tailored to meet applicant needs to help expedite delivery, making it safer for people who choose to walk, cycle or wheel for essential trips during Covid-19.
All applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Protecting public health: Provide temporary walking and cycling infrastructure that helps to protect public health by enabling safe physical distancing for essential journeys and exercise for everyone, in particular where there are space constraints or user safety concerns.
- Essential journeys: projects should focus on essential journeys including:
- Journeys to and from hospitals and health services.
- Journeys to shops, pharmacies and schools for key workers.
- Journeys for recommended exercise, for example neighbourhoods and local parks.
- Immediate delivery: Projects should be delivered quickly and provide a visible improvement that has an immediate benefit.
Apply to Spaces for People
Please refer to the Spaces for People application guide before making an application
You can apply through our grant funding portal
Contact the team
Get in touch to discuss a temporary measure for your local area